Ways to Support the QCES Foundation
You can support the Quincy Catholic Elementary Schools Foundation in a variety of ways – from an immediate cash donation to multiple planned giving options that don’t just benefit the future of our community’s Catholic schools, but also provide financial benefits for you and your family.
When choosing how to give, we encourage you to consider your charitable goals and the potential financial benefits, talk with your professional advisor to help guide you, and contact us for additional information.
Here are the most popular ways to support the QCES Foundation as part of your long-term financial and estate plans.
Gifts You Make Today
The donation of cash is one of the easiest and most popular ways to support the QCES Foundation.
- Your Goal: Make a quick and easy gift
- How You Make the Gift: Write a check or pay by credit card or money order
- Your Benefits: Immediate income tax deduction and witness the benefits of your generosity
Securities, such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds, can be transferred to the QCES Foundation if they have increased in value and have been held for more than a year.
- Your Goal: Eliminate tax on capital gains
- How You Make the Gift: Contribute long-term appreciated stock or other securities
- Your Benefits: Immediate charitable deduction of full fair market value and elimination of capital gains taxes
If you have valuable antiques, artworks, vehicles, or other tangible personal property, you can donate those treasures to the QCES Foundation during or after your lifetime.
- Your Goal: Share your enjoyment of a collection or other personal item
- How You Make the Gift: Donate tangible personal property specifically used for our tax-exempt function
- Your Benefits: Charitable deduction based on the full fair market value
Gift of Real Estate/Bargain Sale
The gift of real estate, either outright or through a bargain sale, is a generous donation that also helps you financially.
- Your Goal: Make a gift of an asset no longer needed and generate an income tax deduction
- How You Make the Gift: Donate the property to the Quincy Catholic Elementary Schools Foundation or sell it to us at a bargain price
- Your Benefits: Immediate income tax deduction and reduction or elimination of capital gains tax, and elimination of the property’s maintenance costs
Charitable Lead Trust
A charitable lead trust allows you to support the QCES Foundation and other charities during a specific time frame, with family members or other beneficiaries receiving the remaining assets after that time.
- Your Goal: Reduce gift and estate taxes on assets you pass to children or grandchildren
- How You Make the Gift: Create a charitable trust that pays fixed or variable income to the Quincy Catholic Elementary Schools Foundation for a specific term of years. After that time, your loved ones receive the balance.
- Your Benefits: Reduces your taxable estate; your property is kept by your family, often with reduced gift taxes
Memorials and Tribute Gifts
You can make contributions in tribute to a relative or friend for holidays, birthdays, and other special occasions, or as memorials to honor a relative or friend who has died.
- Your Goal: Honor or remember someone in a meaningful way
- How You Make the Gift: Write a check or donate appreciated securities, real estate or personal property in someone’s name
- Your Benefits: Provide a lasting tribute while making a difference
Gifts That Pay You Income
Charitable Gift Annuity
You can enter a charitable gift annuity contact with the QCES Foundation, which simultaneously provides us with a charitable donation and you with a guaranteed lifetime income stream, potentially for you and your spouse.
- Your Goal: Supplement income with steady payments that are partially tax-free
- How You Make the Gift: Enter a charitable gift annuity contract with the Quincy Catholic Elementary Schools Foundation that pays a set amount for one or two lives.
- Your Benefits: Current and future savings on income taxes and tax-favored fixed payments for the estimated life expectancy of income beneficiaries.
Charitable Remainder Unitrust
A charitable remainder unitrust is an irrevocable trust that distributes a fixed percentage of the trust’s annual fair market value to a designated charity or charities.
- Your Goal: Create a hedge against inflation over the long term and supplement your retirement income
- How You Make the Gift: Create a trust that pays a fixed percentage of trust’s assets as revalued annually.
- Your Benefits: Variable income for life and immediate income tax charitable deduction.
Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust
You contribute assets to the charitable remainder annuity trust, and the trust pays you or a beneficiary an annual fixed income. When the trust’s term ends or upon your death, the QCES Foundation receives the remaining principal.
- Your Goal: Secure a fixed income and supplement your retirement funds
- How You Make the Gift: Create a charitable trust that pays you a set income annually and benefits QCES Foundation later.
- Your Benefits: Fixed payments for life, often at a higher rate of return, and immediate income tax deduction
Gifts That Make An Impact After Your Lifetime
A Bequest in a Will
One of the easiest ways to make an impact is to include a charitable bequest to the QCES Foundation in your will, which will allow us to continue our mission for years to come.
- Your Goal: Defer a gift until after your lifetime
- How You Make the Gift: Name the Quincy Catholic Elementary Schools Foundation in your will. Designate a specific amount, a percentage, or a share of the residue
- Your Benefits: The donation is exempt from future federal estate tax, and you control the asset during your lifetime
Revocable Living Trust
A revocable living trust allows you to put your assets into a trust for your benefit while you’re alive and transfers assets to designated beneficiaries at your death.
- Your Goal: Make a revocable gift during your lifetime
- How You Make the Gift: Name the Quincy Catholic Elementary Schools Foundation the beneficiary of assets in a living trust
- Your Benefits: The gift is exempt from future federal estate tax and you control the trust for your lifetime
If you no longer need a life insurance policy, consider transferring ownership to the QCES Foundation or naming us as a beneficiary.
- Your Goal: Make a large gift with little cost to yourself
- How You Make the Gift: Donate the policy by making the QCES Foundation the owner and beneficiary, which gives us the flexibility to surrender the policy for its accumulated cash value, continue paying the premiums to let the cash value grow, or wait to use the proceeds from the death benefit. Of course, you also can also name th QCES Foundation as a sole or partial beneficiary.
- Your Benefits: Current income tax deduction and possible future deductions through gifts to pay policy premiums
If you have retirement assets, such as an IRA or tax-sheltered annuity, you can name a tax-exempt charity like the QCES Foundation as a beneficiary.
- Your Goal: Eliminate the twofold taxation on IRAs or other qualified retirement plans
- How You Make the Gift: Name the Quincy Catholic Elementary Schools Foundation as a beneficiary of the balance left after your lifetime using the plan’s beneficiary form
- Your Benefits: Make the gift from the most highly taxed assets, leaving more for family and eliminate income and estate taxes
Retained Life Estate
You can donate your home or other property to QCES and qualify for a charitable income tax deduction, but you can continue to live there for the rest of your life.
- Your Goal: Give your residence, vacation home or farm now but continue to live there
- How You Make the Gift: Deed ownership of your home to the Quincy Catholic Elementary Schools Foundation but retain occupancy throughout your life
- Your Benefits: Valuable charitable income tax deduction and lifetime use of your residence